Decadence Duo: Pots de Crème
You don’t have to go out to enjoy a fancy, luxurious dessert. Here Elizabeth McCauley shows you the ropes to make Pots de Crème au Chocolat for your Valentine. This rich, chocolatey dessert is easier to make than you think, and is sure to wow!
Pots de Crème au Chocolat
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Add milk and cream to a sauce pot and put on medium heat.
2. Meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar. Mix well in bowl, place a towel under bowl, and place bowl on a flat surface.
3. Begin to slowly add half of the hot milk and cream to the egg mixture while simultaneously whisking it together (the towel will help keep the bowl still while whisking with one hand). Pour the combined mixture back into the pot with the remaining dairy ingredients, place pot back on medium heat. Continue to whisk often until mixture begins to thicken (don’t allow mix to boil). After mixture becomes the consistency of loose pudding, remove from heat.
4. Immediately, remove it from heat, add chocolate chips, and mix vigorously with a whisk until well blended. Pour into ramekins and chill for 4 hours.
Originally published in the February 2016 Freedom Farms Magazine, written and photographed by Elizabeth McCauley.